Monday, February 4, 2013

Tips on running with a high-energy dog

Have you signed up for the Canine Crawl 5k? Want to get some tips on running with your dog? In this post we'll look at how to exercise with a high energy dog, and meet Clara, an HSEC adoptable animal! ADOPTED!! Stay tuned in the future to learn about running with other types of dogs.

Clara
Hi, I’m Clara. I am a year old Pitt Bull Terrier mix. Like many other Pitt Terriers I’m very energetic and I have a natural eagerness to please those who take care of me. That’s why I want to be your future running partner. Running is a great way for me to use up some energy and to get some exercise. I’m great on a leash, but sometimes I get overly excited and I tend to pull. Once I get started running, I like to continually increase my speed. Caution though, I stop for random sniff breaks. With some proper training from a dedicated owner I’d be the perfect running partner.

When training a high energy dog, like myself, there’s some things you should keep in mind. If you want me to pay attention while you’re teaching me new tricks, you’re going to have tire me out a bit first. FYI, I love to play with chew toys. Clicker training may be the best tactic. Start with conditioning; click and immediately offer me a treat. Repeat this 20 times. On the 21st time I should recognize that a click is followed by a treat so you’ll have to test me by not offering a treat right away. Click and wait for my response. If I look for a treat then we’re good to move on to the first trick. Otherwise, repeat the process.

I was adopted last weekend! But check out my buddies at HSEC, from 2:00 to 5:00 every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday or by appointment only during the week. They can't wait to begin training together for the first ever HSEC 5K at this year’s Canine Crawl on St. PAWtrick’s Day. Your first step to getting ready for the race is to sign up. Don’t procrastinate! Then you'll be committed and can begin training. Your dog is even allowed to join you during the race! Let your best friend be your biggest motivator!

No comments:

Post a Comment